1 large Arabic pita bread
1 whole chicken, 1 kg
6 cups or 1.5 litres water
1 small onion or 100g cut cubes
4 cubes MAGGI Chicken Stock
1 cinnamon stick
2 tablespoons of each: toasted pine seeds, pistachio and almonds
1 tablespoon parsley
For the rice:
2 tablespoons cooking oil
250g minced meat
½ teaspoon of each: cinnamon, black pepper, sweet pepper, cardamom
1½ cup or 300g Basmati rice
For the yogurt sauce:
2 cups or 500g yogurt
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons tahina paste
Preparation - Fatteh:
- Toast the Arabic bread, cut into small pieces and place in a large serving dish.
- Place chicken and water in a large pot, bring to boil and skim froth as it appears, add onion, MAGGI Chicken Stock cubes and cinnamon stick. Cook for 50 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from stock, then remove meat pieces from bones and set aside. Reserve the chicken stock.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add minced meat and spices and cook until meat becomes golden in color.
- Stir in the rice, and then add 2¼ cups or 560ml from the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is cooked.
To arrange the dish:
- Pour some of the chicken stock over the toasted bread in the serving dish. Spoon the rice over the bread, combine all ingredients for the yogurt and pour over the rice, then place the chicken meat pieces over the yogurt.
- Garnish with toasted nuts and sprinkle parsley over. Serve immediately.