Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 15 minutes
Ingredients (serves 10)
- 2 pieces wholemeal Lebanese bread
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tbs sumac
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 x 250g punnets grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, quartered lengthways, thickly sliced
- 2 small red capsicums, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 6 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Spray the bread with olive oil spray and place on the lined tray. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sumac. Bake in oven, turning once, for 10-12 minutes or until crisp and light golden. Set aside on the tray to cool completely. Break into bite-sized pieces.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and oil in a jug.
- Combine the chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, shallot, parsley, mint and remaining sumac in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss to combine. Season with pepper. Add the bread and toss to combine. Serve.
Time plan tip: Prepare this recipe to the end of step 1 up to 1 day ahead. Store the bread in an airtight container. Continue to the end of step 3 up to 4 hours ahead. Store the dressing and salad in separate airtight containers in the fridge. Continue from step 4 just before serving.
Australian Good Taste - December 2007, Page 63