Sambousek is famous in the middle east as an appetizer dish, but this recipe will show you how to make it as a dessert "Sweet Sambousek with almond", Enjoy!
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 7 minutes
For the dough:
- 1½ cups plain flour or 210 g
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mahlab
- ½ cup butter or 100 g, softened
- ½ cup water or 125 ml
- 1 tin NESTLÉ® Sweetened Condensed Milk or 397 g
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 cup ground almonds or 100 g
- ½ cup pine seeds or 50 g, ground
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 cup sugar syrup or 250 ml
- 2 cups oil for deep frying
- Place flour in a deep bowl, add sugar, salt, Mahlab and mix well. Add butter then rub the butter with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add little quantities of water and mix thoroughly until a dough forms. Cover with kitchen cloth and set aside for 1 hour.
- To prepare the stuffing, place NESTLÉ® Sweetened Condensed Milk and corn flour in a saucepan. Bring to boil under constant stirring and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add ground almond, pine seeds, cinnamon powder and rosewater to the mixture. Stir well and set aside to cool.
- Roll the dough into round 3 millimeters thick pastry. Using a medium size cup, cut round pieces of the dough. Place 1 full teaspoon of the almond mixture in the center of each piece and seal the edges by twisting them.
- Deep-fry the sweet sambousek in 180°C preheated oil for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove the almond sambousek from the oil and immediately dip them in the syrup. Serve cold.
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.