|Lebanese Beef Chili Stew - Fasolia Beans with Rice|
Summary: A Traditional and Easy to Make Lebanese Beef Chili Stew
Fasolia Beef Chili Ingredients (5 servings)
- 2 cups of red beans
- 1 lb of beef stew chunks (or filet)
- 6 teaspoons of tomato paste
- 10 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of Lebanese 7-Spices
- 1/3 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/4 cup of vermicelli (bird nest or angel hair vermicelli)
Fasolia Preparation Method
- Soak the beans for 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready, rinse them then add to a cooking pot with 6 cups of water, boil for 5 minutes then drain the beans and discard their water.
- Add the beans back to the pot with 6 cups of fresh water and bring to a boil again, then lower heat to minimum and let simmer for 40-80 minutes depending on what type of beans you have. Well cooked beans get smashed easily between your finger tips.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion to a deep pot and lightly fry with 3-4 table spoons of oil (olive oil) on medium heat while stirring.
- When onions start turning a bit pinkish (10 minutes in), add the minced garlic and cilantro leaves, and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Cut meat into small cubes (1 inch) and add to pot on top of onions and garlic
- Then add salt, 7-spices, black pepper, ground cinnamon to meat pot, stir well for a few minutes until the beef turns light brown
- Add 3 cups of warm water to the meat pot, stir well and bring to a boil
- Pour the cooked beans with their water on top of the meat pot
- Add the tomato paste, stirr well, and let simmer on low heat for another 20-30 minutes while stirring occasionally
- While the chili simmers, chop the vermicelli into 1 inch pieces then lightly fry with a tiny bit of butter, or oil, then add them to your rice maker or rice pot along with 1 cups of rice and 2 cups of water, a bit of salt, and let cook on low heat for 20 minutes or until rice is done.
- Serve chili hot in a bowl on top of a few spoons of rice
Cooking time: 70 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Copyright © Mama’s Lebanese Kitchen.
Recipe: Fasolia w Riz: Beef Chili Stew With a Side of Rice